The castle park is especially famous for its yearly exhibition of tulips, where a large number of leading Danish, English and Dutch breeders display their finest results within ennobling of new and old bulbs.
Every year new effects and colours are on display, so that not two seasons are alike. The floral splendour continues into the fall, as tulips and narcissus’ are succeeded by summer flowers, rhodies, herbaceous borders, a large number of tuberous begonia, a long alley of lindentrees, the romantic and beautiful rose garden along with a number of rare trees and plants. The rose garden represents a large number of different types of roses – historic, Danish and foreign – where the fragrance and colour is brought out beautifully.
An alley of lindentrees with trees from Kongens NytorvThe long alley of lindentrees in the south end of the castle park was planted in 1755 and has quite an interesting history, as the trees come from Kongens Nytorv in Copenhagen. King Frederik V had planted them there, but when they out grew the open space, the king presented them to Count Otto Thott. The trees were then transported on horse carridges to Gavnø and planted in the castle garden, where they are still standing grand and majestic in the topsoil. In the grand collection of paintings found inside the castle there is a copperplate from 1703, which displays the funeral of Christian Gyldenløve*. The funeral procession moves from the Thott’s mansion in Copenhage across Kongens Nytorv. Here you can see the lindentrees before they were re-located to Gavnø.
(* Christian Gyldenløve (1674-1703) was the oldest son of King Christian V. and Sophie Amalie Moth.)
Sculptures and MonumentsIn the castle park there is a number of sculptures and monuments, among here the memorial coloumn for His Excellency, Council President, Lensbaron Kjeld Thor Tage Otto Reedtz-Thott – Knight of the Elephant and Knight of Dannebrog and decorated with the Silver Cross of the Order of the Dannebrogs – who possesed the barony of Gavnø for 61 years. The memorial coloumn was raised on 22 March 1912. The Lensbaron was also the principal of Herlufsholm School and Estate.